Jul 9, 2005



I’m always commenting on how girls are different today from when I was a lad. I feel often that guys my age are the unlucky caught-in-between fellows, we were too young for women raised to embrace traditional gender roles and too old for a newer generation that left those clichés behind.

Ours was the generation of the sexual revolution - hold the door or not hold the door, which is polite, which offensive? Girls didn’t play sports so much when I was younger, they were cheerleaders. If they did play sports, it was non-contact sports like gymnastics or track and field. During my years in school, if someone said you threw like a girl it wasn’t a compliment.

Today, things are different. I regularly drive by the park located next to our house to see the girls softball teams slugging it out with each new summer season. We have the WNBA and you can’t help but see all types of muscular women pushing themselves to the limits of their endurance...

“It was pretty killer,” the teenager from Hawaii said. “Even though I finished below par, it still feels (bad) because I played so well the first nine and then I just totally messed up the back nine.'”

She now goes to the men’s U.S. Amateur Public Links next week at Shaker Run in Lebanon, Ohio. The winner has traditionally gotten a spot in the Masters.

Wie had played beyond her years all week, hitting it straight and showing a better-than-expected touch around the greens. But all of that disappeared at the most inopportune time.


What I’m doing is just getting around to saying how cool I think Michelle Wie is. 15 years old, think about that for a second. She’s fifteen and she’s competing with pros and not only are they pros but, she’s given the guys a run for their money. She didn’t make the cut this week but, she’s only fifteen which means over the next five years she’ll probably only get better.

Schoolgirl sensation Michelle Wie, seen here 07 July 2005, fell short in her bid to become the first female in 60 years to make a cut on the PGA Tour at the four-million-dollar John Deere Classic.



I am confident you’ll be hearing lots more of her in the years to come.

No comments: